Job Description: Development and Communications Coordinator
As Los Angeles’ premier provider of high-quality capacity building services for nonprofits, each year Executive Service Corps of Southern California (ESC) helps more than 120 clients achieve their missions through affordable coaching and consulting by trained executive-level volunteers. Our vision is to see successful nonprofits making our community an extraordinary place in which all can thrive. ESC’s work environment is supportive, collaborative and exciting, and dedicated to high standards and professional growth. Every day, our team makes a real difference in the lives of thousands of individuals, and on a myriad of causes in Southern California.
Position Overview: Executive Service Corps of Southern California (ESC) seeks a creative, collaborative problem-solver for the position of Development and Communications Coordinator. The position supports the Vice President of Development and Communications (VPDC) in executing the organization’s Fund Development Plan, including administering a dynamic annual grants and gifts calendar. The position is also responsible for supporting ESC’s external and internal communications and ensuring the smooth running and success of annual special events.
Reports to: Vice President of Development and Communications
Position: Permanent, Full-time, Non-exempt
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, within a range of $44,000 and $48,000. Generous benefit package including health, dental, life, 403b program, paid holidays, sick and vacation time.
Responsibilities: Key tasks and areas of responsibility might include, but are not limited to:
- Support the Vice President of Development and Communications (VPDC), President & CEO and Board of Directors in executing a comprehensive Fund Development Plan for a diverse portfolio of corporate, foundation and local government grants, and individual gifts and in-kind contributions
- Maintain an ambitious, year-round fundraising calendar, including grant proposal writing and reporting, donor acknowledgement and stewardship, annual giving (direct mail and online) campaigns, and data reporting and analysis
- Perform prospect and donor research and prepare briefing documents for the President & CEO, VPDC, and other appropriate staff and board members for meetings with major gift donors/prospects and grantmakers
- Liaise with appropriate program staff to collect data and other program highlights and information to share with funders and donors
- Use the Salesforce CRM and shared filesystem to track development activities, relationships and overall fundraising results
- Process all gifts and grants received, maintain accurate fund development records in hard copy and electronic format and prepare timely and appropriate gift acknowledgements
- Work with the VPDC, interns and consultants in creating the Annual Report to the community
Marketing and Communications
- Support the VPDC, President & CEO and Board of Directors in executing ESC’s marketing and outreach initiatives to enhance ESC’s visibility and prominence throughout the nonprofit and philanthropic community
- Support content creation for ESC’s external and internal communications channels, such as print and digital marketing and communications, social media, and other publications, including client and consultant testimonial stories
- Maintain ESC’s externally-facing website, ensuring that it contains timely and accurate information for key internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with appropriate program staff to support the execution of marketing strategies for client and business development
- Maintain records of communications and outreach campaigns and collateral in hard copy and electronic formats (in filesystem and Salesforce CRM) including target audiences and notable results
- Work with the VPDC and Operations staff to support the planning, logistics and successful execution of ESC’s annual special events to cultivate and steward board, volunteer, funder and other community and stakeholder relations
- Act as a primary liaison/point person for vendors, clients, funders and other event participants
- Support ESC leadership staff to ensure effective stewardship of event participants and board leadership
- Develop and maintain documentation for ESC’s events management policies and procedures
- 2-3 years of experience in fund development; familiarity with institutional giving a plus
- Some experience in nonprofit marketing and communications, special events and/or related fields a plus
- Exceptional writing, research and oral communication skills
- Excellent detail orientation, task prioritization and time management skills
- Strong ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with team members or other constituencies and stakeholders
- Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack (or other fundraising CRM), Google Drive, social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), and online research tools strongly preferred
- Knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp (or other email marketing tool), Adobe InDesign a plus
- High level of personal and professional integrity, with proven success in managing confidential and sensitive information
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training and experience
- Passion for ESC’s mission to empower nonprofit leaders and strengthen our region’s philanthropic and nonprofit sectors
- Personal commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and to helping local communities thrive
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to identify opportunities and suggest solutions
- Desire to continuously develop fundraising knowledge and best practices, and to strengthen professional skills
- Willingness to learn and practice coaching skills as part of a team culture of mentoring and supportive listening
- Ability to foster personal connections and relationships with fellow staff members, volunteers and other community stakeholders
To Apply: Please email a resume AND cover letter describing your interest in the position to email@example.com with the Subject line: “Development and Communications Coordinator”. Any application missing either document will not be considered. This position will remain open until the staffing need is met.
ESC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive staff team and a work environment which treats all employees in an equitable and respectful manner at all times.
For more information about ESC and our programs, please visit: https://escsc.org/
You can also download a PDF version of this job description.